Friday, January 6, 2017

Books, Books, Books,

It's Jan 5th, 2017 and I haven't posted much lately... ahem, since 2014, and the post before that was in 2010... whaaaat?

 I've been reading a diverse range of books that I would like to track, and I've been going down the rabbit hole of my own interests like Bullet Journaling, and Calligraphy and would like to record some of what I learn breathing new life into this page.

My primary interest has been reading lately, and I'm enjoying the gluttony as a result of my current stage of life where it's possible to read a book a day if I choose. (5 books since Jan 1 completed and a pile in progress). I have always been a multiple book reader... a non-fiction, and a fiction title on audio as well as in print, so usually about four at time, at a minimum. Sometimes more, like now.

My favourite from this week is News of the World by Paulette Giles. This has a 4 star rating on Goodreads... why I don't know; it s a five star book for me. A short book, it reminds me of Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry, or All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy, with a touch of Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt. I'm now reading Tribe by Sebastion Junger, which is a fascinating work on what ails western society in terms of our soulful need to be part of a tribe...this is also a quick read, and is an excellent pairing with News of the World. It's apparently a little-known fact that when 'captives' of  Native American tribal societies (there were many of course) were returned to Western society, they invariably wanted to go back to their Indian families. There were hundreds (or thousands?) of cases where white people defected to Indian society, however not a case in reverse. Junger explains phenomenon far better than I can, but a very interesting book to follow, or precede, News of the World.

I also finished, in Jan. 2017, Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes (it's all about the carbs people), and the latest by Liane Moriarty called Truly, Madly, Guilty and Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe (better than expected, though I chose it b/c it's well reviewed.) 

In progress:

The Broken Way by Ann Voskamp (paper)
You'll Grow Out of It by Jessi Klein (library) (abandoned)
Tribe by Sebastion Junger (Kindle, book club choice)
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (recommended to me but I'm close to abandoning) (Kindle)
The 100 Year Old Man by Jonas Jonasson (paper, book club choice)
My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante (paper, bookclub choice)
The Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson (Hoopla audio)

Books from recent 2-3 months, to catch up.

Bolded if I loved enough to potentially reread - there are many books I have enjoyed, but would I reread them? That's the litmus test!

* for Recommended

* Unglued; Making Wise Choices Amidst Raw Emotions by Lysa Terkeurst (Hoopla audio)            Deserves it's own blog post - amazing book.
* One in a Million Boy by Monica Wood (library)
* A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (Hoopla audio)
* Before We Visit the Goddess by Chitra Banarjee Divakaruni (Kindle)
* A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles (Kindle)
Flash the Homeless Donkey by Rachel Anne Ridge (Kindle)(abandoned but was cute for a while)
* 11/22/63 by Stephen King (Kindle)
* Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (Kindle)
* The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah (Kindle)
A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg (Kindle)
* Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng (Hoopla audio)
* The Art of Memoir by Mary Carr (Hoopla audio)
The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout (Kindle)
* Still Life by Louise Penny (Library)(Will read more of this series - mystery for sensitive persons).
Throw Out Fifty Things by Gal Blanke (Hoopla audio)
Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier
*Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave
*A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron
* When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
*Ex Libre by Ann Fadiman

Want to Read:

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
The Glass Castle by Jeanette Wallis
The Liar's Club by Mary Carr
The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead

Several books  were abandoned... not sure if I want to track abandoned books or not?

That catches up my reading.... my further interests lately have included Bullet Journaling, and Calligraphy. In college I used to take an interest in pen and ink drawing and lettering, and so have taken it up again, for fun, and because there is the opportunity to 'pretty up'  Bullet Journal pages if one is inclined. I love the BJ concept for it's complete way of capturing all the fly away thoughts, lists, projects, and schedules that float around in my head all day (and night), so this idea is an exciting development for me. I wish I had thought of it. Here is the video link that I stumbled across that began this journey for me:



Now if you liked what you see here, try googling Bullet Journal, and prepare to have your mind blown... there are so many variations on this theme that it's mind boggling, but the beauty is that you make this journal to suit you... in the detail that you require for you...so it will be a creative outlet or not, but it will have only what you want to detail, track etc. Plus it's fun.


No comments: