Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Kindle Makes Me Read Faster

I am beginning to believe that Kindle makes me read faster... maybe it's the swiping, rather than page turning? I suspect it's more to do with the fact that the words are lit up and I can actually see them better - at any rate, though it took a few years to really get used to my Kindle...I am flying through books now.

But if pressed... yes, I love a print 'hold-in-your-hands' book the best.  I am a slave to reading glasses now though, and very good light, and that glowy Kindle is making my reading life easier. What of Audible? Has it a place? Yes it has. I love Audible too, just like Kindle and real books..  it's not so fast... audio books are definitely the slowest way to get through a book (I can't stay tuned in with speeded up narration...1.0 or maybe 1.25 at the most if I don't have to follow too closely...my mind will go its own way) but you can 'read' whilst folding clothes and doing other jobs where you would otherwise not be able to read.  So I listen to books, and read books. I always have a motley pile of books on the go.

Books that are good enough to reread are bolded. Books I highly recommend are asterisked**. Books I enjoyed, and are good enough, are single asterisked*. If a books isn't 'good enough' I generally abandon it, but not always... so they will be listed but not asterisked. A complicated method of evaluating books perhaps... some books I really do like, but I can't really recommend them exactly. I wonder if that makes sense.

Recently finished:

**Daily Rituals  by Mason Curry
**Pray, Write, Grow  by Ed Cyzewski
*Writing Day In, and Day Out  by Cindi Cumbo-Fford
*Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life and Work by Chip Heath and Dan Heath
Coming Clean: A Story of Faith by Seth Haines
*The Cozy Life: Rediscover the Joy of the Simple Things Through the Danish Concept of Hygge by Pia Edberg (Kindle)

Still in Progress:

My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante (Hoopla, audio)
The Broken Way by Anne Voskamp (print)
The 100 Year Old Man That Climbed Out of the Window by Jonas Jonasson (print) (I don't love this one... but it's a book club read so I'm reading on... it's not awful, but for me, it's not my favourite as my Isabelle would say.
The Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson (Hoopla, audio)
Found: A story of Questions, Grace, and Everyday Prayer by Micha Boyett

This is a quote that I like from Kathleen Norris' book called The Cloister Walk, which is quoted in the book Found (above):

"Norris describes a monastic perspective that perceives time as a gift to be welcomed, not an enemy to be wrestled.

This fits in nicely with the huggye concept that we (Manochehr and I) have been reading about (The Cozy Life - above). I think this is an insightful way to approach our cold Canadian winters, with a mindset of taking pleasure in simple domestic life by making your surroundings cozy, warm, comfortable, being reflective, enjoying the social season with home-cooked foods, and informal gatherings among people you love and are completely yourself around.  Huggye is a much more concise way to say all that! So you are kind to yourself all winter... and let's make that all year round... but it's a Fall and Winter kind of mindset... that I think would help to ward of the effects of seasonal SAD for some or many. I gave the book a 'good enough' asterisk because it's short and doesn't go into a lot of depth, but I found it to be probably the most thought provoking book of the week... along with Coming Clean, so it kind of deserves ** but I suspect that there are more in-depth books on the subject out there, but perhaps not, it's a simple idea really. Two or not two... I can't decide :)

Something funny... yesterday in the car we were discussing this idea of SAD and Huggye with our Mark and he laughed... "I have the opposite of SAD" when the first snow flies. He's a winter person... and doesn't begin Huggye until the snow begins to melt! What will he do all Summer!

Lastly... to pronounce Huggye..try saying Une in French... then add the H in front.... Hune (still in French) and drop the n.... now add the hard 'g' where the 'n' was, and add the 'ae' in Michael to the end... I learned this on Youtube here:


















No comments: