Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Cement of a Marriage...

I am taking this quote from a short story called "Stiltsville" written by Susana Daniel. It's from my subscription of One Story that Sarra bought for me for my birthday. I loved this story, in fact it's my favorite so far. Here is a quote from it that I really thought was interesting and true:

(The protagonist's daughter is getting married) "Of course I hoped for her sake that the marriage would last, but I also hoped something more personal - more selfish, I should say: that Margo would come, through marriage, to understand Dennis and me in ways she never did before. I hoped that Margo would learn that the cement of a marriage never really dries, and she would apply that understanding to her parents, and value the work we'd done to survive."

2 comments:

Susanna Daniel said...

So glad the story left an impression!

The Eatons said...

I for sure want that story when you are done with it. Gripping quote.